After the successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a certificate (NQF level 5) issued and endorsed by the UFS. Recognition to the Higher Certificate in Management Development is available.
In this programme participants will learn to:
- Structure a reading effort and read with comprehension.
- Structure the writing of an assignment or report appropriately.
- Appropriately apply punctuation and referencing of sources.
- How to read an academic text to facilitate retention of information
- Structure the reading of academic material
- Use the SQ3R reading strategy to access academic texts
- Identify the target audience and purpose for writing
- Planning of the writing process
- Formulation of a thesis statement
- Write a paragraph, an introduction and conclusion
- Organising the body of an academic essay
- Appropriate punctuation; and
- Referencing styles and punctuation
Your Lecturers for this online Programme: Foundation Skills (Writing Skills)
Professor Arlys van Wyk
Head of the Unit for Academic Literacy in the Centre for Teaching and Learning
She has been working in the field of academic literacy and student access for the past 19 years. Her research focuses on academic literacy development and the language needs of English second-language students.