The aim of this programme is to equip participants with academic reading and writing skills, which is a minimum requirement for any academic programme taken. It offers participants an opportunity to acquire the academic literacy skills needed in order to successfully pursue tertiary studies. The mastery of these skills will serve as a guide to all modules within the HCert.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PRODUCT, PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING FORM
In this programme participants will learn to:
- Structure a reading effort and read with comprehension.
- Structure the writing of an assignment or report appropriately.
- Appropriately apply punctuation and referencing of sources.
- How to read an academic text to facilitate retention of information
- Structure the reading of academic material
- Use the SQ3R reading strategy to access academic texts
- Identify the target audience and purpose for writing
- Planning of the writing process
- Formulation of a thesis statement
- Write a paragraph, an introduction and conclusion
- Organising the body of an academic essay
- Appropriate punctuation; and
- Referencing styles and punctuation
Your Lecturers for this online Programme: Foundation Skills (Writing Skills)
Professor Arlys van Wyk
Head of the Unit for Academic Literacy in the Centre for Teaching and Learning
She has been working in the field of academic literacy and student access for the past 19 years. Her research focuses on academic literacy development and the language needs of English second-language students.