After the successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a certificate (NQF level 5) issued and endorsed by the UFS. Recognition to the Higher Certificate in Management Development is available.
In this programme participants will learn to:
- Understand and describe the concept of labour relations in writing by reflecting on its nature as of cardinal importance in modern industrialised society.
- Understand and apply the theory of unfair dismissal and unfair practice in the organisation.
- Understand and apply disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Differentiate between types of bargaining and distinguish the sub-processes of collective bargaining.
- Reflect on the personality and skills dimension a negotiator should have.
- Labour Relations and the legalistic framework
o Labour Relations Act
o Discrimination in human resource management
o Basic Conditions of the Employment Act
o Unemployment Insurance Act
- Unfair dismissal and the unfair labour practice
- Procedures in labour relations
o Strikes and lock-outs in South Africa
o Staff reduction procedures
o Disciplinary process
o Discipline and dismissal
o Incapacity due to unsatisfactory work performance
- Negotiation skills
o Practical collective bargaining and negotiations
o Conflict and power in the negotiation process
o Bargaining strategies
o The sub-process of negotiations
o Personality and skills dimensions of a negotiator
o Negotiations tactics
o Mistakes during negotiations
Your Lecturer for this online Programme: Labour Relations
Labour Law Attorney
Martie Bloem obtained her LL.B degree at the University of the Free State in 2003 and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court in 2004. She also obtained a Certificate in an Advanced Course in Labour Law (cum laude) at the University of the Free State in 2007.
She specialized in labour law since 2005 and gained extensive experience as a labour law consultant at a large labour consulting firm. She is currently a practicing attorney who deals exclusively with labour related matters and a part-time senior Lecturer at the University of the Free State.