Short Learning Programmes
Objectives of the Programme
The aim of this programme is to equip participants with academic reading and writing skills, which is a minimum requirement for any academic programme taken. It offers participants an opportunity to acquire the academic literacy skills needed in order to successfully pursue tertiary studies. The mastery of these skills will serve as a guide to all modules within the HCert.
By the end of the programme, participants should be able to:
- Structure a reading effort and read with comprehension.
- Structure the writing of an assignment or report appropriately.
- Appropriately apply punctuation and referencing of sources.
Who Should Attend?
Foundation Skills is intended for any individual who intends to pursue an academic qualification.
- How to read an academic text to facilitate retention of information
- Structure the reading of academic material
- Use the SQ3R reading strategy to access academic texts
- Identify the target audience and purpose for writing
- Planning of the writing process
- Formulation of a thesis statement
- Write a paragraph, an introduction and conclusion
- Organising the body of an academic essay
- Appropriate punctuation; and
- Referencing styles and punctuation
Duration & Accreditation
Duration (excluding time given for the assignment):
- Face to Face – 1 day
- Online – 7 days
- After the successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a certificate (NQF level 5) issued and endorsed by the UFS. Recognition to the Higher Certificate in Management is available.
- All short learning programmes can be customised and offered on an in-house basis.